Hello everyone! Happy Wedding Wednesday!
Thank you for stopping by our blog. We do love those happily ever afters!!
Of course we focus most of our efforts on the wants/needs of our brides, but today, I wanted to address the OTHER decision-maker in the wedding planning process….the mother of the bride!
So before we dive in to what SHE will put on her “wedding day photography wish list”, you might want to brush up on how photography has changed since her days of wearing the veil. Click HERE to see things from her perspective a bit!
Now, on to what our MOBs are hoping our wedding photography team will capture on the big day….
- Mothers of Old South brides are looking for someone behind the camera to be *delightfully bossy*. They are looking for a confident photographer who will take charge of the people/logistics involved regarding photography on a busy, stressful wedding day. She doesn’t want to continually remind the photographer that the bride’s grandmother isn’t physically able to stand for long periods, that the trolley will arrive at 4:00 p.m. to take the girls to the church or that the flower girl needs a nap at 2:00 p.m. She wants someone in charge who knows all the details and moving parts of the day and will stick to the timeline that the bride, MOB, photographer and/or planner designed weeks ago. She needs to trust that the lead photographer can wrangle all 45 family members post-ceremony on the church steps making sure all eyes are open and no children are picking their noses. This is not the day to micromanage vendors and the MOB wants to hire someone who can take beautiful photos AND take charge on the wedding day.
- She wants a Christmas card photo. Yup, she sends out beautiful cards to her 200 closest friends/husband’s co-workers/long lost sorority sisters every December and she has her heart set on a shot from the wedding day which will include the newlyweds, the MOB and her husband plus their other children. Seriously, she probably already has the font for the card picked out so this shot is a must!
- She wants a photo of the newlyweds for a formal announcement in the local newspaper. She’d like both the bride and groom looking straight at the camera in a traditional pose so the world can congratulate the newlyweds! She hasn’t decided yet if it should be a 3/4 length shot or full body shot (to show off that stunning gown in all of its glory), so she is hoping to get both on the big day.
- She wants fantastic images of her children and possibly grandchildren. This is a huge milestone in the life of their family and beyond the Christmas card photo, she wants to freeze this moment in time of her own babies (and possibly their babies) so the formal family “shot list” is very important to her.
- She will likely grab you for a fun shot of all of her girlfriends at the reception. These are the ladies she raised her children with, who hosted her daughter’s showers, who brought her meals when she had her babies YEARS ago, shared bleacher time with her at hundreds of baseball games, brought wine to her house when life threw her curveballs…her tribe is very special to her and she would love a photo with her partners in parenting crime. (P.S., a photographer who truly loves her will also stand on a chair and be sure to angle that photo down so all they all look “ten years younger and thinner”….ha!! Can you tell we take this shot A LOT??)
- And finally, it would mean so much to her if the photographer could capture an image of HER with HER GROOM. They walked that same aisle 30 years ago and seeing their baby get married is quite a milestone in their own marriage. So, again, watch the camera angle, and please remember to capture a beautiful image of the man she built her own life with.
- She has been dreaming of those sweet mother/daughter and father/daughter moments for a very long time. She wants them to show the tenderness and love that this little girl has brought into their lives. She knows she will cry putting that veil on her daughter and watching the father/daughter dance, but please capture the moments anyway. She knows she will cherish these moments for a lifetime and needs to trust that the photographer will treat them with the love and respect these split seconds in time deserve. (oh and she will need YOU to remind to put on her OWN gown on so she can dress her daughter and not be captured in yoga pants and curlers!
While our brides swoon over our creative, romantic images from their wedding days, their Moms are a bit more traditional. Of course they want their daughter to get that wide open shot in a field with the sun setting behind them, but truthfully, she only cares about the images listed above. Everything else is a bonus to her. Her list is small but very important to her.
We promise to remember all the shots she has her heart set on….. in our delightfully bossy way